Monday, April 2, 2007

Getting to Work


Well there is nothing to do but get to work. I spent quite a lot of time riving and splitting the log into manageable pieces. I remember it not being as hard when I first went to Country Workshops. Perhaps this was due to using what I would call "perfect" wood. Any way after getting most of the log split, I have indeed ended with enough wood for six chairs, Hurray! I believe I actually have 14 fronts and 16 rear posts- but if I have any failures on the bend, then I may not have enough. (Bending was something that was really an eye opener the first time I did it. ) I also have plenty of rungs rough shaped and will be spending some time to "3/4" them as I call it. This is where you make sure they are fairly straight and shaped to a 3/4" square. I will do them all this way before moving on. I am right now in the middle of squaring the posts and rungs, as is evident by the photo above.

One thing I keep telling myself is to slow down and enjoy the work. I am excited to be actually building something, and find myself working to reach a goal every day. I sometimes forget that the process is the most fun. Yes it will be exciting to have the chairs when done, but as is often times the case- getting there is the most fun.

I hope you enjoy what I right, and let me know if you have any question.

Have a great day.

No comments: